Job Opportunity - Consular Officer
News26 June 2023
Apply by July 17th
Vacancy- Consular Officer
Consulate General of Ireland, Chicago
Our mission is to promote and protect abroad the values, interests and economic well-being of Ireland and its people. We do this under the political direction of our Ministers, through our staff at home and through our Embassy network abroad.
The Consulate General of Ireland in Chicago is responsible for representing and promoting Ireland in the Midwest region of the USA. Working with the Embassy of Ireland in Washington DC, the Consulate focuses on a wide range of issues including economic, political and cultural work, consular affairs, and engagement with the large Irish and Irish American communities in the Chicago area and the wider Midwest region.
The Consulate is seeking to recruit a resourceful, proactive and flexible individual with previous experience in a similar environment to fill the position of Consular Officer.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The precise range of duties will vary over time according to the needs of the Consulate, but will include the following:
- Responding to public queries received by the Consulate over telephone and email;
- Providing excellent customer service at the Consulate’s public office;
- Providing consular assistance to Irish citizens and their families;
- Assisting in processing emergency travel documents;
- Processing of Working Holiday Agreement applications and promotion of the WHA programme;
- Passport officer role – verifying of witnesses, assisting with passport queries from public;
- Administration of Emigrant Support Programme grant;
- Providing support to the Consul General and Vice Consul and undertaking other administrative and consular tasks as required;
- Support local staff with planning and executing high-level visits and events;
- Providing analytical support for Consul General and Vice Consul General as needed;
- Providing assistance on research projects as needed.
- Officer may be asked to represent the Consulate General of Ireland at local events, and the summer Irish community festivals within the Irish and Irish-American community;
- Engaging in outreach to the Irish American community as needed;
- Other office other duties, as assigned by either the Consul General or Vice Consul.
Qualifications/Experience candidates must be able to demonstrate:
- High school graduation diploma as a minimum.
- At least three years’ professional experience in an office-based, client or public-facing role.
- A high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, especially MS Outlook, MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills.
- A high level of interpersonal and customer service skills, particularly when dealing with members of the public.
- The candidate must provide evidence of flexibility, efficiency and effectiveness showing strong organizational skills, attention to detail, able to work under pressure and to manage multiple tasks;
- A high level of discretion with sensitive information and data;
- An ability to work independently, as well as within a close knit team.
- Flexibility with working hours and an ability to deal with high-pressured situations;
- All applicants must have a permanent legal right to reside and work in the United States.
- A third level qualification (e.g. Bachelor’s degree and/or a secretarial qualification is an advantage)
- A good understanding of Ireland and Irish America and of the role of the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Consulate.
Terms and conditions of employment:
- The successful candidates will be hired on a fixed-term contractual basis, initially for one year, and will be based at the Consulate General of Ireland, Chicago.
- Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week, with standard office hours from 9am to 5pm
- Annual Leave entitlement 20 days per annum.
- The salary for the position is $43,688.55 per annum, paid locally on a weekly basis. Salaries are paid direct to a bank account; therefore, the successful candidate must have a bank account.
- The Consulate will make a contribution towards medical insurance payments for employees.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit the following documents to the Consulate before 5pm CST Monday 17 July 2023
Cover letter (1-page maximum) addressing how the candidate meets the qualifications, requirement and competencies outlined above
- Résumé (2-page maximum)
- Two nominated referees
Completed applications should be sent via e-mail only to email@example.com, with the subject line YOUR NAME - Consular Officer Vacancy.
Applications must be received before 5pm (Central time) on Monday 17 July 2023
(No applications will be accepted after this deadline) OR (Depending on response rates the deadline may be extended). Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.
- Depending on the number of applications received, a short-listing of candidates to be called for a competency-based interview may be undertaken based on the Essential/Key Requirements above.
- It is planned that interviews will be held before the end of August 2023.
- A skills test may be included in the recruitment process;
- A second interview may be included in the recruitment process; and
- A panel may be set up depending on the calibre of candidates;
General Data Protection Regulation:
All personal information received will be kept in line with GDPR guidelines.
Security Clearance for Local Staff
Police security clearance will be sought in respect of individuals who come under consideration for appointment. Enquiries may also be made with the police force of any country in which the applicant under consideration for appointment resided. If unsuccessful, this information will be destroyed. If the applicant subsequently comes under consideration for another position, they will be required to supply this information again.
Please note that canvassing will disqualify applicants.
The Consulate General of Ireland, Chicago is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity.